Last Modified: June 10, 2020
2. Information Collection
We obtain information about you through the means discussed below when we provide the Services. Please note that we need certain types of information to provide the Services to you. If you do not provide us with such information, or if you ask us to delete that information, you may no longer be able to access or use certain Services.
Information you provide directly to us
We may collect information that you provide directly to us:
- When you use our Services, e.g. when you create an account on the Website;
- When you fill out forms or respond to requests for information;
- When you request a quote for insurance or other products;
- When you register for promotions;
- When you transmit user content to us;
- When you request customer support and/or technical assistance; and
- When you otherwise communicate with us or other users through the Services.
The information you provide directly to us may concern you or others and may include, but is not limited to:
- Identifiers and Contact Information. We may collect identifiers and other contact information from you, such as your name, email address, phone number, date of birth, address, and driver’s license.
- Property Information. We may collect information about your house or other property, e.g. the roof type, year built, or construction material.
- Financial Information. You may provide us or our service providers with financial information such as your income, credit score, insurance information, identity verification information, and/or financial account or credit card account information.
- You are not required to provide us with such information, but certain features of the Services may not be accessible or available, absent the provision of requested information.
Information from affiliates and non-affiliated third parties
We may obtain information about you from affiliates and non-affiliated third parties, which may include, but is not limited to:
- Consumer Reports. We may request information about your credit and claims history from a consumer reporting agency. By accessing the Services, you authorize us to request your consumer report.
- Property Information. We may obtain information about your house or other property from third parties, including third party vendors specializing in collecting data about property insurance risks.
We may combine information that we collect from you through the Services with information that we obtain from such third parties and information derived from other products or services we provide.
Information we collect automatically
We may collect non-personal statistical information that does not individually identify you. This includes non-personal statistical information about your internet connection, the equipment that you use to access our Services, and how you use our Services. We refer to this information as “Usage Information.” This information allows us to optimize the Services to the internet connections and equipment that are used to visit the Website. For instance, in order to make the Services better, we may collect information on: how long you use the Services; whether you have used the Services before and on how many occasions; how frequently you use the Services; and at which point you exit the Services. We collect this information directly from you when you provide it to us and automatically as you navigate through and interact with our Services. Information collected this way includes: (a) details of your visits to our Services, including traffic data, location data, logs, other communication data, and the resources that you access and use on the Website; and (b) information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, and browser type. The technologies we use for this automatic data collection of usage information may include:
- Pixel Tags / Web Beacons: Pages of our Website and our emails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags and single-pixel gifs) that permit us, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an email. We may also use these web beacons for other related Website statistics (e.g., recording the popularity of certain content and verifying system and server integrity).
- Device Identifiers: When you use a mobile device like a tablet or phone to access our Services, we may access, collect, monitor, store on your device, and/or remotely store one or more “device identifiers.” Device identifiers are small data files or similar data structures stored on or associated with your mobile device, which uniquely identify your mobile device. A device identifier may be data stored in connection with the device hardware, data stored in connection with the device’s operating system or other software, or data sent to the device by us.
3. Information Use
We use your information for business and commercial purposes, such as:
- To provide you with the Services, including to register you for an account and process transactions, or to process your application for insurance or other Services;
- To respond to your questions or inquiries, including to provide customer support and troubleshooting assistance;
- To communicate with you, including to send you emails or other communications about products and services that may interest you;
- To manage and remember your preferences and personalize the Services;
- To analyze and improve the Services or any other products and services we provide;
- To administer surveys or promotions;
- To verify your identity;
- To comply with our legal obligations or as permitted by law;
- To protect the safety and/or integrity of our users, employees, third parties, members of the public, and/or our Services;
- To prevent fraud and enforce our legal terms; and
- To administer and troubleshoot the Services.
We may combine information that we collect from you through the Services with information that we obtain from affiliated and nonaffiliated third parties, and information derived from any other products or services we provide.
We may aggregate and/or de-identify information collected through the Services. We may use de-identified or aggregated data for any purpose, including without limitation for research and marketing purposes and may also share such data with any third parties.
4. Disclosure of Information
We may share or disclose information in the following ways:
- Your Consent: We may disclose your Personal Information to nonaffiliated third parties based on your consent to do so.
- Service Providers: We may disclose your Personal Information to contractors, partners, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business, all of whom are bound by contractual obligations to keep Personal Information confidential and use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them.
- Legal Disclosures: We may disclose your Personal Information to law enforcement agencies, courts, and government agencies. These parties may disclose information to other parties as permitted by law.
- Business Transfers: In the event that Kin is involved in a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, your Personal Information held by us may be among the assets transferred.
- Enforcement: We may disclose your Personal Information in order to enforce or apply our Terms and other agreements, including for billing and collection purposes.
- Disclosed when Collected: For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- Protection of Rights: If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of Kin, our customers or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
- We may disclose Usage Information and aggregated information about our users without restriction. This information cannot be used to personally identify our users.
5. Third-Party Service Providers and Links to Third Party Sites
We use third-party service providers (“Service Providers”) in order to efficiently provide our Services to you. Service Providers perform tasks including, but not limited to, verifying information that you provide. Some Service Providers will collect information directly from you and provide us with relevant data. We may use this information to carry out our obligations or enforce our rights. Information collected from Service Providers is governed by their privacy policies. You should view the privacy policies of Service Providers before providing information to them. If you interact with a third-party, the third-party may have access to your Personal Information, even though we do not disclose your Personal Information for these purposes without your consent.
We may provide links to other websites in a format that enables us to keep track of whether and how often these links have been followed. Once you leave the Website by linking to another site, we assume no responsibility for the information collection or privacy practices of that site and you should read applicable privacy notices before providing any information.
6. Choices about How We Use and Disclose Your Information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the information you provide to us.
Actions you may take on your own
- Profile Information: You can update your profile information by accessing your account.
Requests you may make to Kin to limit sharing
You may limit Kin’s sharing of each of the following by making a request via telephone, email, or mail to the Contact Information listed below:
- Credit Information: You may limit Kin’s sharing of Personal Information for Kin’s affiliates’ everyday business purposes by sending a request to Kin.
- Marketing: You may limit Kin’s sharing of Personal Information with affiliates and nonaffiliates to market to you by sending a request to Kin.
- Email Communications: If you do not wish to have your email address used by Kin to promote our own services or third parties, you may opt out of receiving promotional messages by sending a request to Kin or clicking on the opt out link in any email you receive. However, if you are a Kin customer you must provide an up-to-date and accurate email address for Kin to communicate with you regarding your insurance policy or any related claims.
Requests related to consumer reports
You are entitled to receive a free copy of your consumer report directly from the consumer reporting agency we utilize.
To receive your report, contact:
LexisNexis Consumer Center P.O. Box 105108 Atlanta, GA, 30348
To dispute your report, contact:
LexisNexis Consumer Center P.O. Box 105108 Atlanta, GA, 30348
7. Correcting Your Information
You may send us an email at email@example.com to request access to, correct, or delete any Personal Information that you have provided to us. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement, the terms of your applicable insurance policy, or cause the information to be incorrect.
8. Data Security
We take commercially reasonable measures to protect against the loss, misuse, and unauthorized access or disclosure, alteration and destruction of your Personal Information by aiming to maintain appropriate physical, procedural, and electronic safeguards to protect your personal data, including:
- Restricting access to personal data to our employees or Service Providers on a “need to know” basis;
- Enforcing policies and procedures for our employees in their handling of personal data; and
- Using technologies designed to safeguard data during its transmission, such as SSL encryption for the data you provide on our Website.
The safety and security of your information also depend on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our Website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our Website. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Website.
9. Children Under Age 18
Our Services are not intended for children under 18 years of age. No one under the age of 18 may provide any Personal Information on the Website or through the Services. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under 18. If you are under 18, do not use or provide any information on the Service. If we learn we have collected or received Personal Information from a child under 18 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about any child under 18, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. Contact Information
- Via email at email@example.com
- Via phone at 855-717-0022
- Via mail by writing to Kin Insurance, Inc., 55 W. Monroe St., Ste 2200, Chicago, IL 60603, Attn: Legal
11. Governing Law and Jurisdiction
Start Saving on Your Home Insurance