Last Modified: 7/12/17
Information Collection and Use
Personal Information. By accessing the Website and using the Services, we may collect information that can personally identify you (“Personal Information”) when you request an insurance quote, complete an insurance policy application, create a user profile, or sign up for an insurance policy (e.g. information such as: (a) contact information (e.g. full name, address, email address, phone number), (b) household member identification information, (c) date of birth, (d) gender, (e) marital status, and (f) other financial information).
As part of our Services related to applying for and developing a requested insurance policy, we may also obtain personally identifiable information about your or your home from third party sources. For example, we gather information such as your claims history with other insurers, credit report and insurance score from consumer and credit reporting agencies. These agencies keep your information and only disclose it to us as permitted by law. By using the Website, you authorize us to request your credit report.
Usage Information. We may also collect non-personal statistical information that does not individually identify you. This includes non-personal statistical information about your Internet connection, the equipment that you use to access our Services, and how you use our Services. We refer to this information as “Usage Information”. This information allows us to optimize the Services to the Internet connections and equipment that are used to visit the Website. For instance, in order to make the Services better, we may collect information on: how long you use the Services; whether you have used the Services before and on how many occasions; how frequently you use the Services; and at which point you exit the Services. We collect this information directly from you when you provide it to us and automatically as you navigate through and interact with our Services. Information collected this way includes: (a) details of your visits to our Services, including traffic data, location data, logs, other communication data, and the resources that you access and use on the Website; and (b) information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, and browser type. The technologies we use for this automatic data collection of usage information may include:
- Pixel Tags / Web Beacons: Pages of our website and our emails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs. pixel tags and single-pixel gifs) that permit us, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an email. We may also use these web beacons for other related Website statistics (e.g., recording the popularity of certain content and verifying system and server integrity).
- Device identifiers: When you use a mobile device like a tablet or phone to access our Services, we may access, collect, monitor, store on your device, and/or remotely store one or more “device identifiers”. Device identifiers are small data files or similar data structures stored on or associated with your mobile device, which uniquely identify your mobile device. A device identifier may be data stored in connection with the device hardware, data stored in connection with the device’s operating system or other software, or data sent to the device by us.
Third-party Service Providers and Links to Third Party Sites
We use third-party Service Providers in order to efficiently provide our Services to you. Service Providers perform tasks including, but not limited to, verifying information that you provide. Some Service Providers will collect information directly from you and provide us with relevant data. We may use this information to carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any policies or contracts entered into. Information collected from these third-party services is governed by their privacy policies. You should view the privacy policies of Service Providers before providing information to them. If you interact with a third party, the third party may have access to your Personal Information, even though we do not disclose your Personal Information for these purposes without your consent.
We may provide links to other websites in a format that enables us to keep track of whether and how often these links have been followed. Once you leave the Website by linking to another site, we assume no responsibility for the information collection or privacy practices of that site and you should read their privacy notice before providing any information.
Disclosure of Information
We may disclose Usage Information and aggregated information about our users without restriction. This information cannot be used to personally identify our users. We do not disclose your Personal Information except in the circumstances described here:
· Your Consent: We may share or disclose your Personal Information, at your direction, in connection with your use of the Services and to fulfill the purpose for which you provide it. For example, we may provide your Personal Information to our pool of insurance carriers and brokers to determine available insurance coverages and policies.
· Service Providers: We may share your Personal Information with or disclose it to contractors, partners, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business, all of whom are bound by contractual obligations to keep Personal Information confidential and use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them (“Service Providers”).
· Legal Disclosures: We may disclose your Personal Information to law enforcement agencies, courts and government agencies. These parties may disclose information to other parties as permitted by law.
· Business Transfers: In the event that Kin is involved in a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, your Personal Information held by us may be among the assets transferred.
· Enforcement: We may disclose your Personal Information in order to enforce or apply our Terms and other agreements, including for billing and collection purposes.
· Disclosed when Collected: For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
· Protection of Rights: If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of Kin, our customers or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Choices about How We Use and Disclose Your Information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the information you provide to us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
· Email Communications: If you do not wish to have your email address used by Kin to promote our own services or third parties, you may select the kinds of promotional messages you will receive by modifying your account settings. However, you must provide an up-to-date and accurate email address to be used by Kin to communicate with you regarding your insurance policy or any related claims.
· Credit Reports: You are entitled to receive a free copy of your credit report directly from the consumer reporting agency we utilize.
To receive your report, contact them at:
LexisNexis Consumer Center, P.O. Box 105108, Atlanta, GA, 30348.
To dispute your report, contact them at:
LexisNexis Consumer Center, P.O. Box 105108, Atlanta, GA, 30348.
Accessing and Correcting Your Information
You may send us an email at email@example.com to request access to, correct, or delete any Personal Information that you have provided to us. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement, the terms of your applicable insurance policy, or cause the information to be incorrect.
California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section §1798.83 permits users that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of Personal Information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take commercially reasonable measures to protect against the loss, misuse and unauthorized access or disclosure, alteration and destruction of your Personal Information by aiming to maintain appropriate physical, procedural and electronic safeguards to protect your personal data, including:
- Restricting access to personal data to our employees or Service Providers on a “need to know” basis;
- Enforcing policies and procedures for our employees in their handling of personal data; and
- Using technologies designed to safeguard data during its transmission, such as SSL encryption for the data you provide on our Website.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our Website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our Website. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Website.
Children under Age 13
Our Services are not intended for children under 13 years of age. No one under age 13 may provide any Personal Information on the Website or through the Services. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under 13. If you are under 13, do not use or provide any information on the Service. If we learn we have collected or received Personal Information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at email@example.com.
General, Governing Law and Jurisdiction