Homeowners insurance in South Carolina*

Looking for affordable home insurance? Get a quick quote today!

Finding affordable insurance for your home is getting harder to do every year, and it stands to reason. Increasingly expensive natural disasters makes it difficult for insurance  companies struggle to keep rates down.

*But Kin is an insurance company that's built for our ever-changing world. We’ve reimagined our policy forms to bring homeowners in South Carolina an innovative policy called House & Property insurance, or HD3 policy.

You can adapt a House & Property policy to fit how you use your home. Much like landlord insurance, or dwelling fire insurance, the House & Property base policy gives you the coverage you need when you rent out your home. People who live in their home all or most of the year simply add an owner-occupied endorsement to get the coverage found in a standard homeowners insurance policy, also called an HO3 policy.

We're not going anywhere

If you’re looking for financial strength in an insurance company ﹘ and you should be! ﹘ you can’t do much better than Kin. We have a rating of an A - Exceptional from Demotech, Inc.** This rating means we’re a financially stable insurer that has the ability to pay even catastrophic claims. We're here for South Carolina now, and we'll be here when you need us the most.


How to protect your home with us

For South Carolina homeowners, we offer House & Property insurance that can cover:

Our flexible House & Property policies can cover homeowners whether they occupy the property or rent it out. For homeowners who live in the house they’re insuring, House & Property insurance may also cover your:

If you rent your home to others, then you can typically get some of your rental income covered when claims force your tenants to move temporarily.

House & Property policies insure your dwelling on an open-perils basis. This means perils are covered unless specifically excluded by the policy language. Some of the most common events that cause damage are typically covered, including fire, theft, wind, and hail.

South Carolina homeowners insurance rates

According to the most recent data, South Carolina home insurance costs $1,327 per year on average. Hurricanes, violent thunderstorms, and tornadoes are a few of the reasons the average South Carolinian pays so much for home insurance with other companies.

That number is, of course, an average. Your premium may be different based on characteristics unique to you and your home, such as: 

  • Your home’s age, location, and building materials.
  • The deductibles and coverage limits you select.
  • The value of your personal belongings.

Kin is a different kind of insurance company. We use technology to analyze hundreds of data points, and this allows us to more assess your risk accurately and price your policy fairly. Get a quote to find out how much you'd save with a House & Property policy from Kin.

How to save money on your insurance for your home

Residents of South Carolina may qualify for a discount on their House & Property insurance when they:

  • Install home security systems
  • Protect the home from wind damage
  • Have a clean claims history

You can also save money if you increase your standard deductible. Doing this means you take on more of the financial costs when you have a claim. While that usually lowers the premium, you want to make sure that you pick a deductible you can afford.

House & Property insurance deductibles in South Carolina

Our House & Property insurance typically has three deductibles:

AOP deductible. This is your standard deductible that applies to most covered claims. Options include $500, $1,000, $1,500, $2,500, or $5,000, $10,000.

Hurricane deductible. A hurricane deductible applies to damage caused by hurricanes and named storms. You can choose a flat-rate deductible of $500, $1,000, $2,500, $5,000, $7,500, or $10,000, or a percentage deductible of 1%, 2%, 3%, 4%, 5%, or 10%.

Wind/hail deductible. A wind/hail deductible applies to damage caused by hail and wind from a storm that doesn’t reach named-storm status. You can choose a flat-rate deductible of $500, $1,000, $2,500, $5,000, $7,500, or $10,000, or a percentage deductible of 1%, 2%, 3%, 4%, 5%, or 10%.

Top risks for South Carolina homeowners


South Carolina has a 79.7% chance of being impacted by a tropical storm each year.

Wind and hail

Summertime thunderstorms often bring hail and damaging winds.


Since 1950, South Carolina has averaged 11 tornadoes per year.


The state’s emergency management division says that South Carolina has a high risk for inland and riverine flooding. However, flood damage is not covered by most homeowners insurance policies. You can learn more about our flood insurance here.

These risks illustrate why getting home insurance is a good idea in South Carolina﹘even if you aren’t required to get a policy. Without insurance, you’re responsible for 100 percent of any loss. That’s not a big deal if the damage is minor, but major storms can be much more expensive, even destroying homes completely. The right homeowners insurance can help you recover faster.

South Carolina homeowners insurance FAQs

Is home insurance mandatory in South Carolina?

The state of South Carolina does not require you to get homeowners insurance. However, your lender most likely will demand you have home insurance if you have a mortgage. Some may also require flood insurance depending on where you live.

Is hurricane insurance required in South Carolina?

Hurricane insurance isn’t actually a product you can buy, so it’s not required in South Carolina. That said, you can find coverage for damage caused by hurricane winds in your homeowners insurance policy. Water damage from a hurricane is another story. You usually need flood insurance for that.

Is wind/hail coverage required in South Carolina?

South Carolina homeowners are not required to get wind/hail coverage. However, the state has mandated that insurance companies make wind/hail coverage available to coastal homeowners since 1971.

**In South Carolina, we offer coverage through Kin Interinsurance Nexus Exchange, and our agency is Kin Insurance Network Distributor, LLC. Our agency license is 3001438704. 

Check out how much our customers love Kin

Related Posts:Get more answers

Start Saving on Your Home Insurance*