Coverage B – Other Structures Coverage

Home insurance also covers other structures on your property: your detached garage, fence, shed, and more.

Other Structures Insurance

Other structures insurance, also known as Coverage B, is the part of your home insurance policy that protects structures on your property other than your house. That includes:

  • Fences
  • Sheds
  • Detached garages
  • Greenhouses
  • Driveways
  • Guest cottages
  • Gazebos
  • Barns

What Does Other Structures Insurance Cover?

Other structures are protected against the same risks as your home, including:

  • Fire
  • Theft
  • Wind / hail
  • Vandalism
  • And more

Remember, Kin's policies offer open-perils coverage for your home and other structures. That means incidents that aren't explicitly excluded in the policy are covered. That's a lot of incidents (and protection!), so we didn't list them all here.

What Coverage B Doesn't Cover

While your Coverage B can offer a lot of protection for other structures on your property, it has some limits. For example, this portion of your policy can't cover:

  • The contents in your other structures, such as garden equipment, sporting equipment, pool supplies, etc. These are typically covered by your personal property coverage.
  • Any detached structures that you use for business purposes.
  • Farming or ranching activities or animals.

Other structures coverage excludes the same perils as your dwelling insurance. So, for example, it won't cover wear and tear, earth movements, infestations, or flood damage. For flood protection, you need flood insurance.

How Much Coverage B Should I Have?

Other structures coverage is usually automatically calculated as 10 percent of the main structure. In other words, if your house is insured for $200,000, you'll typically have $20,000 in protection for your garage, fence, etc.

You can adjust this amount to more than 10 percent if you need extra protection. However, most experts recommend you carry at least 10 percent in Coverage B to protect your structures – they can be more expensive to repair or replace after a disaster than you might think.

It's also worth noting that every insurer handles pool coverage differently. However, if your pool is in-ground, it likely falls under the protection of Coverage B. Ask your insurer to be sure, and also ask if special limits apply.

Related Posts:Get more answers

Start Saving on Your Home Insurance