When Do You Need Homeowners Insurance in Texas?
You will need homeowners insurance in Texas when:
- You buy a home.
- You have a mortgage.
- You have valuable belongings.
Even if you don't have a mortgage on your home, it's wise to protect your investment. All it takes is one unexpected fire, hurricane, or other tragedy to take what you've worked so hard to secure for yourself and/or your family.
When to Shop for Homeowners Insurance in Texas
Though you almost always need home insurance, when you buy it depends on several factors. For example, you may shop for coverage:
- Before you close on a new home.
- Before your current policy's renewal to avoid lapses if you want to switch providers.
- Any time you want to secure better coverage or a better premium.
What Information Do You Need to Get Home Insurance in Texas?
To speed up the insurance buying process, it usually helps to have the following information ready:
- Proof of new purchase (if applicable).
- Building details (year built, square footage, number of stories, detached structures).
- Proof of security alarms.
- Insurance history information (proof of prior insurance, losses in the last 5 years, etc.).
- Proof of flood insurance if your home is in a flood zone.
- Appraisals for high-value belongings if you want to schedule them.