One of the best parts of living in Marrero, Louisiana is its location. Situated just outside of New Orleans on the Mississippi river, Marrero’s 31,000 residents can enjoy the bayous and marshes the area’s known for while being just a stone’s throw from the excitement found in the Big Easy.
But the location has its drawbacks. Living that close to the Gulf and the river means homeowners need to be prepared. That starts with getting quality Louisiana home insurance. Without it, homeowners in Marrero might be left paying costly repair bills on their own.
How much does homeowners insurance in Marrero, LA cost?
With an average annual premium of $2,037, homeowners insurance in the Pelican State is some of the most expensive in the nation. And Marrero’s location all but guarantees that many of its homeowners pay near that amount.
But location isn’t the only thing that matters when it comes to the cost of homeowners insurance in Marrero, LA. Insurers look at several factors to determine rates, including your home’s:
- Square footage.
- Building materials.
- Roof shape and condition.
The premiums for policies purchased through Kin* are based on this information and granular data. That lets us more accurately evaluate each home’s risk. As a result, Marrero homeowners may see savings on their homeowners insurance.
What does Marrero homeowners insurance cover?
Homeowners insurance in Marrero, LA provides financial protection from losses, such as fire, theft, windstorm, and more. Policies through Kin typically include six coverages that kick in depending on what caused the loss. These coverages are:
- Dwelling coverage to help you repair or rebuild your home’s actual structure, like its floors, walls, and roof as well as some attached structures, like cabinets and fixtures.
- Other structures coverage, which covers damage to detached structures on the property such as a shed or garage.
- Personal property coverage, to help cover costs if the contents of your home are damaged or destroyed.
- Loss of use coverage, which can pay for living expenses above your usual costs if your home is temporarily uninhabitable because of damage from a covered peril.
- Personal liability coverage, which helps pay damages if a third party claims you or a family member caused property damage or bodily injury.
- Medical payments coverage to help pay emergency medical bills for guests injured on your property.
Policies via Kin usually include hurricane insurance that can help you recover from damage caused by a named storm. However, flooding is often excluded from coverage. For that, you’ll likely need separate flood coverage.
Unique risks for Marrero, LA homes
Simply put, Marrero is in the line of fire when it comes to the damage that hurricanes can bring. That was most recently evident in the damage the town saw from Hurricane Ida, which knocked down power lines and uprooted trees.
Hurricanes also bring storm surge. According to Risk Factor, nearly 99% of all the properties in Marrero have at least a 26% of being severely affected by flooding over the next 30 years.
Tips for lowering Marrero home insurance costs
Marrero homeowners may be eligible for discounts on their policies purchased through Kin. Some common ways to get a discount is by:
You can also usually save by raising your deductible. This is the amount you’re responsible for should you file a claim, and insurance companies often lower your premium if you’re willing to take on more risk.
Policies available through us have the following AOP (i.e., standard deductible) and hurricane deductibles:
- Or 1%, 2%, 3%, 4%, 5%, or 10% of Coverage A
Again, choosing a higher deductible is something to think about before you do it. You want to pick an amount you can afford. The worst time to find out you can’t pay your deductible is after a catastrophe.
If you have any questions about getting insured in Marrero or would like a quote, enter your address or call us at 855-717-0022.
*Kin is Kin Insurance Network Distributor, LLC, a licensed surplus lines producer.