Sitting at the junction of Interstates 12 and 55, Hammond is just a short drive to many of the things Louisianians love. Both New Orleans and Lake Pontchartrain are nearby, so the city’s approximately 20,000 residents can enjoy big city life and nature in equal measure. But why leave? Hammond boasts many of its own fine restaurants and beautiful parks.
While there is much to love about living in Hammond, the town's homeowners need to be concerned about hurricane season and all the other potential losses that can occur. That’s why you need good Louisiana home insurance to protect you.
Hammond home insurance costs
Hammond seldom gets off scot-free during a hurricane, but being situated somewhat inland does give the town a degree of protection. That helps to keep premiums for homeowners insurance in Hammond, LA down. Our customers typically pay just $1,644 in a state that averages $2,037 per year.
Location, however, isn’t the only factor that impacts your homeowners insurance costs. The condition of your home plays into pricing, as do other factors, such as:
- Building materials.
New homes, for example, are built with brand new materials and to new safety codes, which means they’re typically in prime condition. As a result, new homes often see quotes that are lower than older homes.
What Hammond home insurance covers
Home insurance provides financial protection against losses from things like fire, theft, and burst pipes. Policies through Kin* typically have six standard coverages that will kick in under different circumstances:
- Replacement-cost dwelling coverage to help cover the cost of repairs to your home if it’s damaged by a covered peril.
- Other structures coverage for damage to detached structures damaged or destroyed by a covered peril
- Personal property coverage, which protects losses caused by damage to the contents of your home, such as appliances or electronics,.
- Loss of use coverage that provides you with an allowance for things like hotel and eating out if your home is made uninhabitable by a covered peril.
- Personal liability coverage, which can help cover your legal bills and settlement costs if you're accused of causing someone’s property damage or physical injury.
- Medical payments coverage helps pays for guests injuries when they need medical care after getting hurt on your property.
Coverage for wind damage from a hurricane is included in every homeowners insurance policy we sell. You will be responsible for a separate hurricane deductible. Damage from storm surge, however, is seldom included in a homeowners policy. That typically requires flood insurance.
Unique risks for Hammond homeowners
In October of 2020, Hammond opened shelters to prepare for Hurricane Zeta just weeks after Hurricane Delta hit. This is nothing new for Hammond residents who know that they must always be prepared for hurricane season and the threats that it brings. Additionally, many areas in Hammond are in flood zones, which puts them at risk for flash floods during heavy rainfall as well as storm surge.
Hammond is also no stranger to tornadoes or hailstorms. Both of these risks are typically covered by homeowners insurance.
Tips for lowering the cost of homeowners insurance in Hammond, LA
Hammond homeowners can often get a discount when they:
Another strategy for lowering insurance rates is to raise the deductible in your policy. While this is an effective strategy, we do warn our policyholders that they need to be comfortable with the deductible amount because that’s how much they’re responsible for in a claim. Homeowners in Hammond can get hurricane and AOP deductibles of:
- Or 1%, 2%, 3%, 4%, 5%, or 10% of Coverage A.
If you have any questions about getting insured in Hammond or would like a quote, enter your address or call us at 855-717-0022.
*Kin is Kin Insurance Network Distributor, LLC, a licensed surplus lines producer.