Described by some as the best kept secret in southern Louisiana, the small city of Broussard provides its residents an exciting mix of food, history, and culture. They can fill up on Cajun cuisine through the city, check out the architecture in the historic downtown, or listen to live Zydeco on one of the many music venues.
Even better? Broussard offers all of this and an affordable cost of living. It’s little wonder 78% of the city’s over 13,000 residents own their homes.
But bad things can happen anywhere – even in places as idyllic as Broussard. Hurricanes, tornadoes, and thunderstorms have all wreaked havoc on the city in the past, and will likely visit the area again. That’s why homeowners insurance in Broussard, LA is so important.
Unfortunately, top-of-the-line Louisiana homeowners insurance can come at a hefty price. Let’s take a look at how much home insurance can cost in the Pelican State and how we may be able to help you find affordable coverage.
How much is homeowners insurance in Broussard, LA?
Louisiana regularly sits at or near the top of the list for most expensive homeowners insurance, largely due to the potential for catastrophe claims. Our most recent data shows that the average Louisianans pays over $2,000 per year for their coverage.
Luckily, Broussard location means it doesn’t see quite as many storms as other areas of the state, so premiums there may be slightly lower than average. But it’s important to remember that several factors your home insurance costs, including:
- Your home’s age, size, and construction.
- The value of your personal belongings.
- Additional structures on your property.
This is where working with Kin can bring you the greatest value. The premiums for policies purchased through Kin are based on thousands of data points. That way, you pay a rate that’s more accurate to the risks your home faces. Homeowners who work with us often see lower rates when they compare.
Want to see how your home insurance compares? Get a quote for homeowners insurance in Broussard to see if you save.
What does Broussard home insurance cover?
Broussard homeowners insurance is a financial safeguard that protects you from losses that can happen when you own a home. Policies typically have six coverage parts that kick in depending on the specifics of your claim:
- Dwelling coverage. This covers the structure of your home. Damage by a covered peril, like wind or fire, can trigger your dwelling coverage to help you pay for repairs.
- Other structures coverage. When structures on your property other than your primary residence are damaged, this coverage helps pay your repair bills.
- Personal property coverage. Home insurance policies can also help pay to repair or replace the content of your home, including items like electronics and clothes.
- Loss of use coverage. If a covered peril makes your home uninhabitable, Broussard home insurance policy can help you pay for additional expenses.
- Personal liability coverage. This coverage provides some financial protection if you’re accused of damaging someone’s property damage or causing bodily injuries.
- Medical payments coverage. You may be able to use your homeowners policy’s medical payment coverage to help guests who are injured while visiting your property.
Homeowners insurance purchased through Kin typically covers windstorms, including hurricanes, and in Broussard, your policy will likely have a hurricane deductible. This is the amount you're responsible for covering if hurricane winds damage your home.
Unique risks for Broussard homeowners
Since 1930, Broussard has been hit by more than 50 hurricanes. When they come, hurricane winds can take a toll on the city – downing trees, blowing shingles off of roofs, and knocking out power. The hurricane insurance found in your homeowners policy protects you from these types of losses.
In addition to hurricanes, Louisiana sees an average of 55 tornadoes per year. That number has slowly ticked up since 1973 when the annual average was just 17. This is another commonly covered peril for homeowners insurance in Broussard.
Flooding is another problem residents need to be concerned about. Flood maps show Broussard itself has few flood zones, but much of the surrounding areas appears susceptible to flooding. Unfortunately, home insurance typically does not cover water damage from flood. For that, you may need to get additional flood insurance.
How to lower Broussard home insurance costs
One of the best ways to get a lower premium is to ask about discounts. For example, homeowners who work with Kin have earned discounts when they:
Another option is to increase your deductible. This may be a good idea if you’re comfortable paying a little more in a claim, but it might not be for everyone. You want to evaluate how much you can afford even in the worst circumstances before you choose your deductible level.
We offer the following standard and hurricane deductibles:
- Or 1%, 2%, 3%, 4%, 5%, or 10% of Coverage A
If you have any questions about getting insured in Broussard or would like a quote, enter your address or call us at 855-717-0022.
*Kin is Kin Insurance Network Distributor, LLC, a licensed surplus lines producer.