Ok, not that kind of peril.

What Is a Peril?

A peril is any event, situation, or incident that causes property damage or loss. Fire, theft, wind, and vandalism are common perils that homeowners insurance can cover. It’s important to understand which perils your policy covers so you know when you can count on your insurance to pick up the repair bill if necessary.

Are All Perils Covered?

No home insurance policy covers every single type of loss event. Moreover, the type of policy you have determines how many perils are covered.

Policies that offer basic and broad coverage only cover perils that are named in the policy (this is also called named-perils coverage). The 16 named perils are:

  1. Fire or lightning
  2. Windstorm or hail
  3. Explosion
  4. Riot or civil commotion
  5. Aircraft
  6. Vehicles
  7. Smoke
  8. Vandalism
  9. Theft
  10. Volcanic eruption
  11. Falling object
  12. Weight of ice, snow, or sleet
  13. Accidental water overflow or steam
  14. Sudden and accidental tearing apart, cracking, burning, or bulging of certain household systems
  15. Freezing
  16. Sudden and accidental damage from artificially generated electrical current

With a named perils policy, you are only protected if the cause of a loss is one of these listed perils, and that leaves a lot of gaps. 

That’s why all of Kin’s policies are special coverage.

Special coverage is all perils or all-risk coverage. That means all perils are covered unless they are explicitly excluded from the policy. More perils are covered, and you know exactly which are not. There are no surprises with special coverage.

Which Perils Are Excluded?

The following list of perils are typically excluded from special / all-risk coverage. However, since this can change from state to state, be sure to look at your policy or ask one of our agents about exclusions specific to your area. In some cases an excluded peril can be covered by your policy for an additional fee.

Land Movement
This includes earthquakes, sinkholes, landslides and others scenarios where the earth moves.

Flood and Water Damage
This includes sewer backup, overflow from sump pumps, and water below the ground that affects your foundation. This does not include storm surges – only flood insurance covers that.

Power Failure
This is when the failure takes place off premises.

Along with reasonable upkeep, you must do all you can within your means to prevent loss from occurring.

What is it good for? Absolutely nothing!

Nuclear Hazard
Let’s hope this never happens.

Intentional Loss
If you cause a loss on purpose, that loss will not be covered by your policy.

Frozen Pipes in a Vacant Property
A property is considered vacant after 30 days.

Ice and Water Pressure
This is when ice or water freeze or thaw and cause damage to a fence, patio, pavement, swimming pool, foundation, or retaining wall.

Construction Theft
Theft is not covered until a dwelling is finished and occupied.

Vandalism and Mischief in a Vacant Property
This is uncovered if the premises have been vacant for more than 30 days.

Wear and Tear
This is normal and expected, so it is not covered by insurance.

Mechanical Deficiency or Breakdown
Appliances and other mechanical equipment are not covered by your homeowners insurance policy.

Smog, Rust, Corrosion, and Rot
These things happen slowly, so you should be able to take preventive action before a loss happens.

Industrial / Agricultural Smoke
This refers to any damage that may result from smoke or smog from nearby industrial or agricultural operations that affect your property.

Settling, Shrinking, Bulging, or Expansion
This includes the results of earth movement, like cracked pavement, foundations, walls, etc.

Birds, Vermin, Rodents, or Insects
Keep a critter-free property.

Animals You Own
This includes any property loss caused by an animal that you own. Animal liability is a different beast.

Learn more about what home insurance covers here.


Better Home Insurance Is Here

Get a quote today!