Have you noticed the electricity in the air? The birds singing with extra gusto? The Gulf sparkling brighter than usual?
It’s no coincidence. Today is a cause for celebration: Kin has officially arrived in Louisiana!
We built Kin back in 2016 with our hearts set on one goal: to change homeowners insurance for the better. Since then, we’ve prioritized serving states that need easy, affordable home insurance the most. Perhaps no one knows how important that mission is more than Louisiana homeowners.
Why we chose Louisiana as our next stop
Louisiana is currently one of the most expensive states in the US for homeowners insurance, thanks to its history of hurricanes and its rapidly disappearing coastline. In fact, 843,349 Louisiana single-family homes are vulnerable to a Category 5 hurricane.
We can’t change the weather, but we can change how insurance is done.
Picture it: what if instead of ignoring increasingly severe weather for as long as possible, your insurance provider actually helped you prepare for the weather to come? What if instead of increasing prices exponentially, your insurance company got smarter with data and risk modeling to help you save money?
That’s our whole approach: we use data and technology to make homeowners insurance work for you, not the other way around. The result? You can often save more on home insurance with Kin, even if your home usually has a hard time getting covered.
Our favorite things about Louisiana
To celebrate our launch in the state, we asked our team to share their favorite things about Louisiana. And yes, nearly everyone said New Orleans, but who can blame them.
In no particular order, we are smitten with:
- The icons. Louisiana is the birthplace of jazz, Louis Armstrong, Brittney Spears, Lead Belly, Anne Rice, Lucinda Williams, Big Freedia, Lil Wayne, and DJ Khaled.
- The festivals. Mardi Gras (of course), the Louisiana Catfish Festival, the Tennessee Williams / New Orleans Literary Festival, Christmas Eve bonfires on the levee, and the annual Alligator Festival in St. Charles Parish. Even during COVID, Yardi Gras was in full swing, with more than 3,000 homes transformed into stationary “floats.”
- The alligators. Louisiana has one of the highest alligator populations in the country: an estimated 2 million in the wild and another 300,000 on alligator farms.
- The food. King cakes. Beignets. Barbeque. Gumbo, étouffée, jambalaya, and po’boys. We could go on, but now we’re hungry.
- The sights. The French Quarter, Audubon Aquarium of the Americas, National WWII Museum, Avery Island Tabasco Museum, and Congo Square, to name a few.
FAQs about our Louisiana homeowners insurance
At this point, we’re sure you’ve got all kinds of questions about what we do and how we make life easier for the homeowners we insure. Let’s start with some questions we get asked most often,
Does Kin offer home insurance discounts?
We sure do. You may qualify for discounts if:
- Your home has a hip shaped roof.
- Your home has wind mitigation features, like opening protection, IBHS designation, or was built 2006 or later.
- You have smart home safety and security devices.
- You have water leak detection and mitigation devices.
- You’re a new homebuyer.
- You live in a secured community.
- You have a clean claims history.
- You opt for an electronic policy.
Does Kin’s home insurance cover flooding?
We can arrange flood insurance that you can add to your policy. The flood protection we offer matches your dwelling, other structures, and personal property limits.
Does Kin Insurance cover hurricanes?
In addition to numerous other perils, policies through Kin typically include hurricane insurance. Storm surge, however, is usually not included – you should consider getting flood insurance for that. Note, too, that you likely have a specific hurricane deductible for damage resulting specifically from a named storm.
How do I know if Kin is right for me?
Check out our rave customer reviews to get a feel of what it’s like to work with us. You might be surprised by how high our customer satisfaction scores are – it’s practically unheard of in this industry! That’s proof that we go above and beyond to keep our customers happy.
We’re also accredited by the Better Business Bureau with an A- rating, and you can check out our financial stability rating for assurance that your claims will be paid quickly and accurately.
Still, thinking it over? Take a look at our guide to learn more about Louisiana homeowners insurance from Kin or see how our claims team reacted to Hurricane Ida. And, if you want to get a better idea of coverages and costs in your specific area, be sure to check out our offerings in the following markets:
- Amite City
- Baton Rouge
- Bossier City
- Lake Charles
- New Iberia
- New Orleans
- West Monroe
Ready to experience better home insurance? Get a quote – it’s free, quick, and easy!