Condo insurance, also referred to as an HO6 policy, protects a condominium the same way a homeowners insurance (HO3 policy) protects a home. The difference is that an HO6 is tailored for the unique situations that come with condo ownership. Let’s explore what a typical condo insurance policy does and how Kin’s coverage keeps your condo safe.

What Is an HO6 Policy?

Whereas a home insurance policy covers an entire house, inside and out, condo insurance covers the walls in. HO6 insurance policies cover the interior of the unit and personal property inside, which is why it’s sometimes referred to as “studs in” or “walls in” coverage.

A condo association master insurance policy typically covers the building’s exterior. That’s one of the benefits of owning a condo: you can share some of the responsibilities for the property.

So let’s say your building’s roof has a leak. Water enters your dwelling and does some damage to the ceiling. The master policy can cover the repair to the roof itself, and your policy can address the damage to your ceiling, subject to policy conditions and determination of coverage.

HO6 vs Master Policy

Here’s another way to think about it. Kin’s condo insurance has:

  • Coverage A, which protects the walls-in of your dwelling.
  • Coverage C, which protects your personal property.
  • Coverage D, which helps cover expenses if you lose use of the dwelling.
  • Coverage E, which covers your personal liability for injuries in your home or injuries you accidentally cause while away.
  • Coverage F, which helps pay for an injured person’s immediate medical expenses.

HO6 doesn’t include Coverage B, protection for other structures like sheds, garages, and fences. The condo association’s master policy typically covers them.

What Are the Benefits of Kin’s Condo Insurance?

In addition to the robust protection outlined above, our condo insurance can:

  • Insure the interior walls and floor coverings.
  • Cover improvements or upgrades which are contained within your unit.
  • Cover condos used as rental properties (so long as you don’t rent less than two nights at a time).

Plus, condo policies usually have small deductibles and are affordable.

Is My Residence Eligible for Condo Insurance?

To be eligible for condo insurance, your property must be a condo.

You (the owner), a tenant, or both you and a tenant must occupy the residence. We currently can’t cover condos that are vacant or unoccupied.

Get a Condo Insurance Quote

Ready to protect your condo? Great! Here are a few things to keep in mind when you apply:

  • Your HO6 will have a standard deductible, hurricane deductible, and water deductible, which applies if you need to file a claim for damage caused by:
    • An automatic fire protection sprinkler system
    • A plumbing, heating, or air conditioning system
    • A household appliance
  • You will need a wind mitigation inspection if you are applying for wind mitigation credits on your policy (the condo association will have this for your building, and your windows would require an inspection of your unit).
  • You’ll need proof of flood insurance if your condo is in flood zones AE/AH and your unit is on the first or second floor.

Peace of Mind Is a Few Clicks Away