Flood Zone C

Flood Zone C is an area with less than a 0.20% risk of an annual flood, which means it's above the 500-year flood level.

Homes in a low flood risk area

What is Flood Zone C?

Flood Zone C sits above the 500-year flood level. While there may be some pooling and local drainage problems, the homes located in this flood zone have little risk of flooding. As such, the area is not a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA), and flood insurance is not mandatory. New and revised maps use Flood Zone X in place of Flood Zone C.

What is Flood Zone C’s base flood elevation?

The base flood elevation (BFE) is the anticipated height of floodwaters during a base flood (i.e., a flood that has a 1% chance of occurring in a year). Flood Zone C is outside the area of a base flood, so it doesn't have a BFE.

This doesn’t mean that Flood Zone C never floods; it just means the zone isn’t a designated base floodplain. Floods can still happen in Zone C, but they’re rare and don’t warrant the regulations you see in an SFHA.

Is flood insurance required in Flood Zone C?

If you live in Flood Zone C, you’re lucky to live in a location that’s not known for flooding. As such, flood insurance is not required to have a mortgage like it is in Flood Zone A and other high-risk areas.

However, with climate change affecting storm intensity, you might want to look into flood insurance. According to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), just one inch of water can lead to more than $25,000 in damages to both your house and your belongings. That’s a lot of damage from just a little bit of water.

To protect yourself, consider getting flood insurance so you don’t have to pay for the expensive repairs after a flood out of your own pocket. Kin has a flood insurance starting at $175 a year that can give you peace of mind and comprehensive protection.

Why get flood insurance in Zone C?

With such a low probability for flood, does it make sense to buy an insurance policy to cover the risk? Before you dismiss flood insurance altogether, you may want to ask yourself:

  • Are there areas in the community where water pools when it rains? Water pooling close to your home when it rains is a sign that drainage is not as great as it could be and your home could be at risk in a severe storm
  • Is the city developing resources to prevent floods from occurring? If the city has been ignoring its infrastructure, your home could become a flood victim thanks to poor city planning.
  • Will climate change increase the chance of flooding in your area? Climate change is leading to more frequent and severe storms. It might just take one El Nino year to create enough rain to cause flooding in your community where no one can remember it ever happening before.

Homeowners insurance usually covers internal water damage (like a pipe bursting in the house), but few pay for damages if a sewer backs up or your city’s drainage system causes issues. In fact, damage resulting from water rising outside the home is seldom covered by homeowners policies. If you’re concerned about any of these issues, you may want to inquire about adding flood insurance.

How much does flood insurance cost in Zone C?

Because of the low-risk nature of Flood Zone C, we can offer flood insurance for as little as $175 per year. This is $252 less than the average annual cost of an NFIP policy in Zone C of $427.

NFIP vs. private flood insurance for Flood Zone C

Homeowners generally have two options for getting flood insurance. The first is the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). Backed by FEMA, the NFIP accounts for nearly 95% of all flood insurance policies. The other option is to look for a policy from a private insurance company.

The NFIP may be a good choice for homeowners in SFHAs because it can’t refuse to cover a risk. However, NFIP policies only offer a maximum of $250,000 coverage and personal belongings to $100,000. This might not be enough for many homeowners. Plus, there’s a 30-day waiting period.

Private insurers can usually offer higher limits and other coverage options that some homeowners may find more attractive to people. For instance, you can get a flood insurance endorsement added to your homeowners insurance policy that’s effective immediately. We can match its limits to the ones on your dwelling insurance, or Coverage A however large that number is. The same is true for personal property insurance, or Coverage C.

If you want flood insurance, contact your Kin representative today. Our quotes are fast and free, but best of all we’ll help you better understand if you are at risk and what that means.

Learn more about flood zones

Related Posts:Keep exploring