Removing the Perils from Home Ownership

In insurance speak, your home getting damaged is called a loss. The thing that causes that damage is called a peril, which may include fire, flood, or theft. We’ve all heard the stories about how claims were denied because a certain peril wasn’t part of the insurance policy. It’s important that you understand what perils are covered by your policy before it’s too late.

Kin Insurance Is Special Coverage

When it comes to insurance, there are three types of policies: 

  • Basic
  • Broad
  • Special 

Basic and broad coverage only cover perils that have been named in advance. You are only protected if the cause of a loss is in that specific list, and that leaves a lot of gaps. That’s why all of Kin’s policies are written with Special coverage.

Special coverage is the opposite: all perils are covered unless it they are specifically excluded from the policy. This means more perils are covered, and you know exactly which are not. There are no surprises with special coverage.

Excluded Perils

The following list of perils are typically excluded from special coverage. However, since this can change from state to state, be sure to look at your policy or ask one of our agents about exclusions specific to your area. In some cases an excluded peril can be covered by your policy for an additional fee.

Land Movement

This includes earthquakes, sinkholes, landslides and others scenarios where the earth moves.

​Flood and Water Damage

This includes sewer backup, overflow from sump pumps, and water below the ground that affects your foundation. This does not include storm surges – only flood insurance covers that.

Power Failure

This is when the failure takes place off premises.


Along with reasonable upkeep, you must do all you can within your means to prevent loss from occurring.


What is it good for? Absolutely nothing!

Nuclear Hazard

Let’s hope this never happens.

Intentional Loss

If you cause a loss on purpose, that loss will not be covered by your policy.

Frozen Pipes in a Vacant Property

A property is considered vacant after 30 days.

Ice and Water Pressure

This is when ice or water freeze or thaw and cause damage to a fence, patio, pavement, swimming pool, foundation, or retaining wall.

Construction Theft

Theft is not covered until a dwelling is finished and occupied.

Vandalism and Mischief in a Vacant Property

This is uncovered if the premises have been vacant for more than 30 days.

Wear and Tear

This is normal and expected, so it is not covered by insurance.

Mechanical Deficiency or Breakdown

Appliances and other mechanical equipment are not covered by your homeowners insurance policy.

Smog, Rust, Corrosion, and Rot

These things happen slowly, so you should be able to take preventive action before a loss happens.

Industrial / Agricultural Smoke

This refers to any damage that may result from smoke or smog from nearby industrial or agricultural operations that affect your property.

Settling, Shrinking, Bulging, or Expansion

This includes the results of earth movement, like cracked pavement, foundations, walls, etc.

Birds, Vermin, Rodents, or Insects

Keep a critter-free property.

Animals You Own

This includes any loss caused by an animal that you own.

Learn about Our Coverage

You shouldn't need an advanced degree to understand your insurance policy. Learn about what a Kin policy offers, with real world examples, to provide clarity and provide peace of mind.

Insurance Resources

Your policy coverage is only the tip of the iceberg. We've put together these resources to help you understand the other aspects of your policy that you should consider while shopping around.

Your Home. You’re Covered.

Find the right policy without the hassle. Get a quote with just your address.